by The Daily Basics Chef Robin White
We are hardly prepared to accept the fact that summer is almost over and Fall is right around the corner. But not too fast! Let’s grab a few more summer pleasures before we completely immerse ourselves into the nesting season. If you have a garden you might be wondering what to do with your bumper crop of juicy tomatoes coming in on your vines. Here is one of our favorite first harvest recipes that epitomizes the words ‘seasonal fresh local’.
Chef Robin’s Bloody Mary
This is not just any Bloody Mary Mix – this is thick and a little kickier than most. But delicious non the less. You do not have to use the best vodka in this recipe but do not use a really cheap one either.
(makes about 6 drinks)
- 2 pounds of August/September tomatoes (this recipe is very worth making at harvest time, and not at all worth making at any other time. This is really Fresh and Local)
- 8 ounces of vodka (not cheap, not expensive) – omit the Vodka and you have a Virgin Mary1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 6 generous dashes of both Tabasco or your favorite hot sauce
- 12 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- A few good pinches of black pepper and celery salt
- 2 tbsp of fresh horse radish if you can get it or bottled kind is fine
- salt to taste
Pop all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth-ish (as desired). Refrigerate until well chilled, at least a couple of hours or over night.
Garnish, of course, with a celery rib, large shrimp, pickled green beans, the list is endless here.
The Secret to smooth tomato puree
If you are wondering how to get that silky smooth pureed tomatoes – it is simple. You are going to go over to Williams Sonoma and get yourself one of these. An Italian Tomato Press. It will make your life so easy when making these recipes. The best part of this? If you don’t use all of the tomatoes, you can put them in ziplock freezer bags and freeze them. Then when Hot Soup Week comes around with our Chef Robin, you’ll have fresh tomatoes!
Chef Robin White has created original farm to table based recipes for our readers for over two years. Chef Robin’s intention is to make the recipes easy and interesting while using pure ingredients . See more of Chef Robin’s recipes here.
Twitter – @canapes45 is where you will see her tweeting about the Virtual Dinner parties she hosts which engage those in social media from all of the world!