My New Favorite Go-To Summertime Cole Slawnt
I was shopping for containers to plant the other day and I came across this new kind of mint I have never seen before – pink grapefruit mint. I bought 2 containers of it after just a touch of the mint released this amazing pink grapefruit smell. Mint can be so strong sometimes, it does not work with everything, but this one wasn’t. The scent lingered in my brain all night. Some of my best recipes come from being kept awake with a new flavor and how to use it. I came up with this recipe for ‘new fangled cole slaw with grilled peaches, ginger and grapefruit mint’.
- 1 -16 oz package of cole slaw mix or make your own
- 1/4 cup grapefruit mint, chopped fine or chiffonade (lemon mint would work as well)
- 2 fresh peaches sliced, grilled lightly and cubed
- 1/3 cup light veggie oil or canola oil – organic of course
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp hot peach pepper jelly (Stonewall Kitchen) or use hot pepper jelly
- 3/4 cup toasted chopped pecans or pine nuts (not chopped)
1. In a bowl combine the slaw mix, mint, and the peaches.
2. In a blender or food processor add both oils, ginger, vinegar, jelly and whirl until thick and incorporated.
3. Add the sauce to the slaw mixture and toss.
I put this in the fridge for 30 minutes to blend the flavors and I added the pecans last minute tossed and served. It was simply outrageous in flavor and it is our new go-to summer salad. Enjoy and let me know if you have any other new twists on this very flavorful delight!!!