Sam’s Lamb Kofta & Greek Couscous!
Chase away dinner doldrums with an unexpected, ethnic dish. This mediterranean dish will add some international flair to your weeknight menu. The traditional pairing of lamb and mint make these kofta, or meatballs, an instant hit. Served up with couscous, fresh herbs and vegetables, and chickpeas, this super simple dinner becomes a healthy alternative.
As with many mediterranean dishes, the magic comes from the fresh herbs. Dried versions simply won’t have the same effect here. Chop them finely to make sure they infuse the dish completely and don’t forget to save some to garnish the dish when you are ready to serve.
Makes 6 -8 skewers!
- 1 small eggplant, unpeeled, top removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, thickly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Cut the eggplant into 3/4-inch cubes. Place the eggplant in a colander and
- Sprinkle it with salt. Place a bowl over the eggplant and let stand for 1/2 hour.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil on medium-high
- heat. Add the onion and red and green peppers and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes and sauté for 3 minutes. Remove the mixture from the pan and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and add the zucchini to the skillet Sauté on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. Remove the zucchini and place with the other vegetables.
- Rinse the salt from the eggplant and dry it with a paper towel. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Sauté the eggplant on medium heat for 6–7 minutes. Add the reserved vegetables to the eggplant. Stir in the thyme, oregano, pepper, and cayenne and cook for 5 minutes. Serve.
Calories - 185 Fat- 2 Calories from fat - 100 Total Fat - 11.0g Saturated Fat - 1.5 g Cholesterol 0.0 mg Sodium - 15 mg Total Carbs - 22g Dietary Fiber - 6g Sugars - 10g Protien - 4