We thought this Hot Cocoa Peppermint Dream from Warren Bobrow would be lovely to have while you cuddle up to watch the last season of Downton Abbey’s Season. The weather is chilly almost everywhere right now, so this could be a perfect match.
(To locate your local PBS station, click here.)
Very few spirits offer the diversity of rum. Rum can be served in a variety of ways. Hot, cold and at room temperature without diminishing the flavor or potency! Some of my most favorite methods of serving rum during the holidays in a hand held form. A hot toddy for instance is the perfect way to introduce your guests to the pleasures of rum. If they are not careful, a hot toddy will also introduce them to a pillow faster than you can say sleepy-time!
Some hot toddy cocktails that speak of the season…
Peppermint, hot chocolate and rum are one of these cocktails. There are three different kinds of chocolate, dark, sweet and white. Melted into your cup with the addition of peppermint oil and dark rum, your guests won’t know why they are floating on a cloud before the evening is over. Freshly whipped cream (never that stuff in a can) propels this hot toddy into dessert infamy.
Ingredients for a large punch bowl of relaxation:
- 3 different types of melted chocolate (white, dark bitter and sweet) enough for 12 cups
- 1 teaspoon of concentrated peppermint oil
- 1 bottle of dark rum (Barbados or Jamaican come to mind)
- 4 cups of the 1/2 condensed milk, 1/2 whole milk mixture
- Warmed sweetened condensed milk & regular milk in 50/50 proportions
- Melt chocolate and add warmed milk mixture to thin out for your mug of goodness
- Add 2 oz. of dark rum to each mug
- Stir with a peppermint stick