Lambs lettuce and Beets, Salad De Mache et Betterave, served with adapted from Allard in Paris. My twist is the pickled shallots. Thank you Patricia Wells for publishing this recipe in your Paris cookbook.
Served with Cotes du Lot, Malbec Rose, Peter Weygandt
- 2 beets (about 1 pound ) I am using red beets, cooked, peeled and small cubed
- 2 cups lettuce, your choice, rinsed and dried
- 1 small shallot, peeled and cut into rounds
- quick pickling the shallot rounds for 5-10 minutes
- addition of 3 thin slices of strawberry
- goat cheese for color
- 1 tbsp of good sherry vinegar (also pickle with this vinegar)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- In a small container add the shallot rounds about 2 tbsp in total.
- Add the sherry vinegar your using in your dressing and let it sit on the shallot 5-10 minutes
- Add a pinch of salt
- A pinch of sugar and there you have a quick pickle.
- Arrange the salad on individual plates
- Add the beets and pickled shallots
- Add the goat cheese
- Drizzle the vinaigrette dressing over each one